Aug 23, 2020

A Getaway in the Catskills

I never thought the day would come when most countries refused Americans entry into their country.  It has arrived.  I live to travel. It keeps my mind and body healthy.  I know there are many places in New York State to visit but, truly, I have explored the state extensively over the years.  

When I first started to look for destinations I checked out Rhode Island, Delaware, and other places and no sooner had I picked a resort and it was put on the no-travel list.  I wanted a place with an indoor and outdoor pool.  If it was on the beach all the better.  I finally decided on Geneva on the Lake in Ohio.  I had stayed there and explored the area several years ago.  The property is lovely and close enough to my daughter who lives in Ohio so she could visit.  I made a reservation and guess what?  Ohio went on the do-not travel list. I cancelled my reservations and booked a place in the Catskills.  

The Villa Vosilla is an interesting place.  It has been in the family for

several generations. I like that.  I think it started out as a motel and over the years it was expanded and upgraded.  The outdoor pool was great and it is where I spent most of my time. Most of the time we were the only people. I like to sit in the pool and read. The weather forecast for the area showed rain everyday but in reality it the weather was great it is that way in mountainous areas.  The indoor pool is one of the nicest I have ever seen.  The room is large with tables and chairs.  The high ceiling and size means there was no humidity and chlorine smell often
associated with indoor pools.  A stairway from the pool room led to a large game room.  The hotel’s Italian restaurant was very upscale.  It was closed Tuesday and Wednesday so we ventured into Tannersville for meals.  W
e quickly learned that many places are closed a couple days a week and the ones that are open close around 7 pm.  Even so there were several good places to eat. The golf course is across the road so the guys could go golfing.  

I recalled the quaint village of Tannersville from a trip several years

ago.  The small town tucked in the hills of the Catskills was no different from the other towns nearby until Elana Patterson, a local artist, with the help of the mayor, sponsors and local residents, instituted The Paint Project.  It involved painting the downtown building multicolored pastels including, in some cases, murals on some walls, and designs on shutters. The project made the little town a tourist attraction and has been featured in print and on NBC’s Today Show. A brilliant move – and very creative.

There is a lot to see in the area even though things are closed.  There are many hiking trails and waterfalls along with some of the curviest roads I have ever traveled. The Hunter Mountain Zip Line is open. Their longest zipline is 650’ long and 60’ above the forest floor. My zip line and repelling days are over! Skiers will know about the place because of Hunter Mountain Ski Resort.