Sep 5, 2020

Hope Lake Lodge at Greek Peak

I wanted to try another getaway while it is still summer. Obviously I can’t leave the country. Drat.  I searched for a place with both an

indoor and outdoor pool and came up with Hope Lake Lodge at Greek Peak.  The timber-framed building has a variety of rooms including some with a kitchen suitable for a family.  I didn’t need that but I do like a room with a balcony.  It was perfect.  The staff was cognizant of all the covid safety protocols so I felt comfortable.  

The property has several restaurants but only Trax by the ski lifts was open.  I watched the bikers practice for an upcoming race. They would go up on the ski lift and the bikes followed them hooked to the second lift.  Guess that gave the bikers a chance to get off and then get their bikes. The slalom track looked easy enough from where I was sitting but I’m sure it looked more daunting from the biker’s angle.  Several fell.  Greek Peak hosts Dual Slalom races during the summer.  It is just one of their many activities. 

I surprised to learn they were at 70% occupancy.  There were a lot of

families.  The indoor water park was closed but the indoor wave pool was open.  The indoor wave pool required tickets, $19 for three hours.  It seemed to be a favorite of the younger crowd.  The outdoor pool was also busy.  Actually, too busy for me.  I like to wallow in a pool and read.  Can’t do that with a bunch of people plus kids with inflatable toys in the pool. 

Hope Lake Park is just a short jaunt from the lodge.  They have a small beach, boat rentals, and other amenities.  It was not busy. 

There are still many things to do in the area.  I went to Lime Hollow Visitor Center.  The actual center is closed but the trails are open dawn to dusk.  There are maps online.  There are several trails ranging from easy to difficult.  Most are moderate and not terribly long.  I wanted to check out the Eric Kroot Art Trail. The Eric Kroot Art Trail has been set aside for nature inspired outdoor art exhibits created by young people and local artists. Makes walking more interesting. Very cool….  

I also visited the Homeville Museum. This is the perfect museum for

people who love anything and everything with wheels.   There is a large model train exhibit. In the extensive military exhibit there is a WW I war ambulance and a recreation of a trench.  Trench warfare was an integral part of the war. There is a gas mask hanging on the wall.  Gas masks were essential to protect from the poison gas that was weaponized. Mustard gas killed thousands.  The trenches stretched for many miles making it nearly impossible for one side to advance. During World War I, the western front in France was fought using trench warfare. There is a
1925 Brockway fire truck that four people drove 17,000 miles from Argentina to Cortland.  I wonder how they got through the Darien Gap that connects Columbia to Panama.  It is one of the most inhospitable places in the Americas.  For 100 miles there is no road, only foot paths, not to mention the heat, humidity, and critters.  It took them 15 months. In trade the Argentinian firemen receive a new fire truck.  It is a journey worth a book or movie.