Jun 24, 2019


I think insurance companies should include in their coverage “mental health day.”  So for instance “X” number of days not to exceed a certain monetary amount.  We all need days away from the “every day.”  I might even save them money in the long run.  I had such a mental health day recently – actually, I have been taking mental health days for a long time.  I find that when I am surrounded by nature I feel better. 

On my most recent mental health day I went with a friend to Skaneateles Lake and took a ride on the Judge Ben Wiles.  The weather was perfect which was amazing given the weather recently.  As soon as I stepped out of the car and looked at the lake I felt better.  I sat on one of the many benches and decompressed… ah… I could feel myself relax.  A lazy stroll past the many shops made walking along the street a pleasure.  I am not a shopper but Skaneateles has many unique shops.

The Judge Ben Wiles is the flag ship of the Mid-lakes Navigation
Company, a family-owned company that has been in business for over 50 years.  I am a real fan of the Erie Canal and I have taken several of their canal day trips but this was my first time on Skaneateles Lake.

According to the live narration during the cruise, Skaneateles is the cleanest lake in New York State.  It was so clean we could see wooden beams on the bottom of the steamship “City of Syracuse” that carried passengers on the lake in the early 1900s. It was deliberately burned and sunk near the long dock in 1917.  The anchor is in the local museum.  Museum!  You mean there is a museum I have not visited?  On my bucket list for this summer.

Skaneateles Lake is about 15 miles long and a mile wide.  The
Maximum depth is about 300 but the village is at the shallow end.  There is a beach near where we boarded the Judge Ben Wiles and there was a dive boat heading out for some underwater exploring.  The lake is lined with beautiful homes – mansions, really. Some of them have boat houses more elegant than most people’s home.  There
was a time when I may have looked at such home and thought “maybe someday.”  Now I think what a lot of work and I have learned that just because someone lives in a beautiful home on a beautiful lake that they have a wonderful life. But, it is fun to look at multi-million dollar mansions and hear about their owners.  The one where former President Clinton and his wife stayed as been sold and is being renovated. It was listed for 7.7 million. 


Mid-lakes offers several cruises on the lake including a full-moon cruise, lunch and dinner cruises. They partner with Dinosaur Bar-B-Que and Sherwood Inn. After the cruise I had lunch at the historic Sherwood Inn. The Inn was built in 1807 as a stop on the stagecoach line but has gone through many changes and names over the years.  Lunch after the cruise was perfect… after the lunch crowd and before the dinner crowd. Just the way I like it. I have been to Skaneateles Lake before and love their Dickens Christmas but now I want to go on the mail boat ride, visit the museum, and take the walking tour.  The walking tour brochure can be down loaded.