Feb 19, 2020

Sancocho, Panamanian National Soup

One thing I have noticed is that every country I visit seems to have
a national soup. Two of my favorites are pho in Vietnam and caldo verde in Portugal.  Soups have to be one of the first recipes developed by a group of people.  All that was needed was water, a fire, a waterproof container, and some ingredients. We humans have been making soup for at least 20,000 years.  The earliest soup to be discovered by archeologist is hippopotamus soup dating back to 6000 BC. The word “soup” comes from the French word “soupe” which means “broth” which was derived from other sources as the word hop scotched from one country to another.

When I was in Panama City, Panama I attended a Panamanian Buffet and Folkloric Show at the InterContinental Hotel. I noticed that the line was the longest to get the soup which was called sancocho. I had used my InterContinental Hotel points to for my nine-day stay so I had no qualms about upgrading myself to Club Level for $20 a day. Club Level is a private dining area with a great view and is used mainly
by business people so it is quiet and includes the internet, breakfast, and evening libations with snacks.  I find eating alone in a crowded restaurant filled with family groups makes me feel alone and isolated.  The club is a perfect fit for me.  I asked the staff at the club about sancocho and was told the Chef Nicolas Prager, the Executive Sous Chef, would be happy to show me how to make it.   

Sancocho is common in all of Latin America but is best loved in Panama.  It can be enjoyed any time of the day and is considered the perfect hangover cure.  The Panamanian version originated the Azuero Peninsula south of Panama City.  It is claimed that one way to keep cool on super-hot days is by having a bowl of Sancocho for lunch. I have been told that in other countries.  When it is 90-plus have a hot soup or a spicy hot dish.  If it makes you sweat you will cool off because the sweat will evaporate which is a cooling process.  Can’t prove it by me.  

I loved sancocho in part because it was easy to make but included
one of my favorite flavors: cilantro. I learned there is cilantro and culantro. Culantro is common in Latin America.  It tastes and smells like cilantro but is said to be stronger.  Whereas cilantro looks a bit like parsley culantro is a slender flat leaf about four inches long.  They can be used interchangeably. Chef Nicolas said, “Culantro is in the Panamanian DNA.” This recipe is for basic sancocho but cooks have been known add vegetables such as yams, corn, and yucca.  

Panamanian Sancocho
Cooking oil as needed
1 white onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic, diced 
3 leaves of cilantro, finely sliced (3 Tbsp cilantro)
1 tsp Oregano
1 Yucca, one-inch cubes
Whole chicken (with bone) chopped in 2-inch piece
Salt and pepper to taste 
Water

In a large pot add vegetable oil, when hot sauté the onion and garlic. Add salt and pepper. Cook until the onion is transparent. Add oregano and culantro. Add chicken chunks sauté for 2 minutes to taste. Add 1 quart and a half of water. Add name or yucca. Cover the pot and let it boil. Check occasionally to see if more water is needed.  The cilantro should give it a slightly green color.  Skim off any solidified blood that may come from the chicken.  Serve hot with white rice.